Friday, 23 April 2010

Drawing With Light - Julia Green

I've never read anything from Julia Green before let alone even heard of her. But at the end of a boring Easter holidays, I picked it up in my local library. It was the most interesting looking book there that I hadn't read before.


Drawing With Light follows Emily Woodman. Her life is completely changing. Her older sister, Kat, is just about to start uni; Dad and Cassy (her stepmum) have just bought an old house and now they and Emily have to live in a tiny caravan in the middle of a field which it's being done up; after a throwaway remark about Emily's real mother who left her, Kat and her dad when Emily was a baby. Meanwhile, she meets Seb, a beautiful boy with fine features, dark eyes and a love for running and she embarks on a special relationship with him. Can she keep the relationship going? Who was her mother? What was she like? Why did she go?

When I started the book, the first thing I thought was 'There is entirely too many exclamation marks.' I'm not kidding, until about half way through, there are so many exclamation marks. I counted about 6 in one conversation, mostly coming down Cassy. Apart from the beginning part, it is a good book. You can sort of predict the ending. And the ending does just sort of finish and seems like it was rushed a little. I loved Seb. I wish he was a real person. It is a funny, gripping summer read. A good 2nd book from Julia Green. Could be better but good. I'll be looking out for her stuff again.

I give it 3.5 out of 5
Author's Website: www.julia-green.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*