Wednesday, 4 August 2010

13 Little Blue Envelopes - Maureen Johnson


So...I was reading a bit more of Rosie Rushton but I don't know...I got bored with her and really wanted to read this one that I'd heard about. And I glad I did.

First Sentence: As a rule, Ginny Blackstone tried to go unnoticed - something that was more or less impossible with thirty pounds (she'd weighed it) of purple-and-green backpack hanging from her back. 

The story is about Ginny who receives mysteriously thirteen little blue envelopes from her free-spirited artist aunt...whose dead. In the first envelope there is money and instructions to go to England from her home in New York City. In the second one, there are directions to a specific London Flat. And because of the third one, she meets a playwright, Keith Dobson who go to Scotland that leads to a journey around Europe that have disastrous - and romantic- results. Everything will change for Ginny that summer just because of thirteen little blue envelopes....

I really liked this. Basically. There was a few boring bits and a few times where I didn't understand what was happening or like it felt like a bit was missing. Like she would be doing something and I'm thinking 'Hang on, when did this happen?'
It was also funny however and had really good characters like Richard, Ginny and Keith that you kind of have to love. It's nice how she goes around all the different countries to find something, feeling like a normal tourist when really she isn't. The book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, but that's because there's a sequel which I'm looking forward to getting my hands on!
There are loads of surprises. You start with not knowing much and by the end, you know pretty much everything about Ginny's life. Read it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

The sequel, The Last Little Blue Envelope, is due out in Spring 2011.
Author's Website: www.maureenjohnsonbooks.com/index1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*