Friday, 13 August 2010

If I Stay - Gayle Forman


I had never seen or heard about this book before. I just literally fancied reading it when I was in the library the other day. But now, I swear I keep seeing it everywhere! On people's book blogs, in Oxfam today, in Selfridges, in Waterstones. It's following me! It's so weird hah :)

First Sentence: Everyone thinks it was because of the snow. And in a way, I supposed that's true

This story is all about the choices we make, before and after. Seventeen year-old, Mia has (possible) the perfect family, an amazing best friend, Kim and a gorgeous supporting boyfriend, Adam. She would rather, unlike most teens, go out with her family on a drive or play her cello.  She has lots of choices about her life and even though decisions are tough, they are mostly about her music (she's a cello player), school life or love.
    But then, one snowy February morning, something tragic happens and all her choices are gone. Except two (in the book it says one, but I think it's more two): to stay or to die.

This book had me on the verge of tears. Which is hard for someone like me where it takes a lot to cry. Even though the book is only 210 pages, so relatively short, it is so powerful and makes you think. We follow Mia as basically her conscience, she's in a coma but her conscience can walk around, see people but people can't see them. It's through this that we read her, trying to decide and for practically the whole book, I really didn't know which she would choose. The tense, sad moments are broken up by mostly funny moments and for me, I found some of Kim's comments, hilarious. Through her decision making, she is reminded of her past and we find out what happened leading up to this moment. Even though the flashbacks aren't in chronological order, we can still understand them easily and get things from them. Adam. You just have to love him. He is from a completely different 'group' but he falls in love with Mia and makes an effort and supports her. I want a boyfriend like that, basically. I mean who wouldn't, girls?
This is a really deep, gripping, heart breaking but somehow uplifting that makes you appreciate your life at the moment.
Will you cry? Probably
Will you laugh out loud at Kim's comments? Yep.
Should you read it? Definitely. Just go out there and get this book.

Author's Website: www.gayleforman.com
There's also a really good If I Stay Book Trailer to watch!

Related Posts: 
Book #2: Where She Went

3 comments:

  1. I love books that are powerful and make you think! I bought this one awhile back when it went on sale at Barnes and Noble (online), but I still haven't gotten around to reading it. I've heard pretty much nothing but great things though! I'm so excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this recently from Half Price Books, but I haven't read it yet.. I've heard so many good things about it, and your review makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you: read it. I think you will enjoy it a lot. The sequel comes out in April actually. And there is a going to be a movie of it released next year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*