Wednesday, 25 August 2010

On My Bookshelf (1)

So this is my version of 'In My Mailbox' because honestly, I'm not known well enough to have publishers and authors to send me books - and I'm still working out how that can happen. So here is my lovely selection of books that I have required in the last week: 


Outside Beauty - Cynthia Kadohata (Library)
When her mother is involved in a terrible car crash, Shelby's world is torn apart. She and her three sisters are separated and sent to live with their fathers. The girls struggle to adjust to life without each other but Maddie, the youngest, is so terrifed of her father that she withdraws into herself and from her sisters. Shelby realises that something must be done - something drastic - to reclaim her family. 

The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han (Waterstones)
Every year, Isabel spends a perfect summer at her family friends' house. There's the swimming pool at night, the private stretch of beach - and the two boys. Conrad: unavailable, aloof and who she's been in love with forever. Jeremiah: friendly, relaxed, the only one whose ever really paid her any attention. But this year, something's different. They seem to have noticed her for the first time. It's going to be an amazing summer and one she'll never forget.  (Part of a series)
(Oh my god. I want to read this book. Even though it's a summer read and it's practically the end of summer. Who cares? I'll read it in the winter and pretend it's summer!)

The Other Countess - Eve Edwards (Waterstones)
England 1582. Lady Eleanor Rodriguez of San Jime is in possession of a worthless title and a feisty spirit that captivates the elite of the Queen's court and none more so than the handsome Earl of Dorset. William Lacey has inherited his father's title and his financial ruin. Now the earl must seek a wealthy heiress and restore his family's fortune. Will's head has been turned to Eleanor but their union can never be. Will is destined to marry a lady worthy of his status but who will it be? 
(Yep. Another historical romance. Oh I love it so much....)

The Sky Is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson (WH Smiths)
What kind of girl wants to kiss every boy at a funeral, wants to maul a guy in a tree after making out with her (dead) sister's boyfriend the previous night. Speaking of which, what kind of girl makes out with her sister's boyfriend at all? 
(Yes. It is in my hands. It is sitting next to me in pride and joy on my desk. I am so happy, it's unbelieveable. And I even got my friend, Joey to buy it when I got it. See this book brings happiness!)

Bog Child - Siobhan Dowd (Library)
Fergus finds something which makes his heart stop. Curled up deep in the bog is the body of a child. And it looks like she's been murdered. As Fergus tries to make sense of the mad world around him, a little voice comes to him in his dreams and the mystery of the bog child unfurls. 
(I've decided not to read this one because for 1. It sounds downright depressing and 2. Apparently it's not too amazing. But I took the picture already so...I had to include it or it would feel lonely.)

Auslander - Paul Downswell (Library)
When Peter's parents are killed, he is sent to an orphanage. But Peter is of German Blood. With his blond hair and blue eyes, he is a perfect Hitler Youth specimen, Someone important will want to adopt Peter. They do. Professor Kaltenbach and his wife are thrilled to welcome such a fine Aryan to their households. But Peter is not quite the specimen they think. He is forming his own ideas. Peter doesn't want to be a Nazi, so he takes a risk. They most dangerous risk he could possible take in Berlin in 1943. 
(I do History and we do about Nazi Germany and that so I am looking forward to this. Not my normal type of book. But who cares, sounds good!)

And to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay...while I was out, my friend brought it and thought we'd add it to the pile. I've heard to much praise for this series that she's making me read it when I'm done with my library books. So, yeah that could be fun. From her description, it sounds pretty good. So I'm all set bookwise. :)


Joey with her 'Hunger Game' book and 'The Sky is Everywhere' :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*