Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Auslander - Paul Dowswell

It's been pretty busy since I got back on Sunday, so sorry anyone that has been waiting for this. I am now pretty happy too as I have 8 followers and when I was looking at the stats, I've had 584 visitors since May from 10 different countries. So thank you if you are apart of that. I appreciate it :)
ANYWAY. Onto I would say THE most amazing book I have read in a long time. I know I say that about every book mostly but I really loved this one.

When Peter becomes parent less, he is sent to an orphanage. But when the Nazis invade his home in Poland, his life changes completely. He maybe Polish but is Aryan (blonde hair, blue eyes) and of German blood. He is taken in by Professor Kaltenbach, a scientist looking at the purification of Jews, and his family and starts to be brought up in Nazi Germany. But as he joins the Hitler Youth and becomes a perfect 'German Youth', he is starting to form ideas of his own. He doesn't want to be a Nazi follower and believes in things that could have him killed. So he does the most dangerous thing he could do in Berlin in 1943 because his life depends on it...Is he really a perfect German or truly an Auslander (foreigner in German)?

Okay. I've said it before. If you saw me on the bus reading this and you knew me pretty well, you would think 'Rebecca wouldn't read that kind of thing!' And it's true, I probably wouldn't but it's history. Which I L.O.V.E. Yes, it needed the dots. When I loved about this book, is that it is like your perfect guide to History GCSE. Everything I've covered in the Rise of the Nazis was in this book. The book is great to show you the Rise of the Nazis. The Depression before Hitler is mentioned, Hitler Youth, the SS, the Gestapo and the terror of being caught by them; some opposers of Hitler, Swing Jazz, the treatment of the Jews...it's all in there if you like it or not.
It's a fast paced novel that will have you on the edge of your seat at times and smiling at others. I loved Anna, Peter's girlfriend. She is just such a nice character, I guess she makes it appeal more to girl AND boys too. She is a great free-willed character who, with all her innocence, made me gasp at what you eventually find out.
  What I found SO clever, like Sarah Dessen clever (Whoa guys. Big compliment), was that at first Peter was spelt Polish: Piotr. And there was me sitting there thinking 'What? Who on earth is he? It's spelt Peter, isn't it?' but then when he goes to Berlin and Kaltenbach changes his name so it's more German, it changes to Peter. It was so subtle that I didn't realise until a few chapters afterwards.
I would recommend this book to anyone that's interested in Nazi Germany or studing it or just history really. And that loves an action packed, surprised full book that has something different on every page. Seriously. Read it. Now. Just go....out the room, put on your jacket and go and buy it....Good. :)

Author's Website: http://www.pauldowswell.co.uk/

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read that.. It sounds interesting, did you say it was relevant to the gcse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it basically tells the rise of the Nazis and what it was like during the Nazis, so basically revising History in Year 10. It was helpful actually, it kind of helped me understand and went over it. :)

    I saw it in the school library :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*