Thursday, 23 September 2010

The Sky Is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson


 I have been waiting for this book since the beginning of August. For a reminder of wanting-ness, click here :) So. You can imagine my excitiment when I finally got my hands on this frankly amazing book. I must have looking so stupid on the bus clutching this book to me:
Me (drops book): Oh no. Come back! Don't leave me pleeeeease!
Enough said.

First Sentence: Gram is worried about me

Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. (From Goodreads - kind of)
That's all I'm saying about the book. I was thinking about how to put it on here and I thought. You can't explain what happens without ruining some of the novel. And that is why the blurb on the back is a load of questions.

I absolutely loved this book. If there is only one book you should read this year, it should be this one. And I don't say that often. This book was meant to be a verse book but turned into a novel. Jandy Nelson is a published poet and it comes out in the book a lot. The book is so beautifully written, it made me want to read it even more. There are some 'moments', you may know what I mean...though unlike many people think it really doesn't bother me. I mean it will happen to me eventually won't it?
This may seem like such a short review for a book I seem to absolutely love (WHICH I DO!) but I'm seriously trying not to ruin it for anyone out there.
One piece of advice though: Read it. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. My favourite thing of the novel was that at most chapters there are Lennie's poems. It's just such a different and original book. The fact the actual book is different, the way it's written and the poems added in. Ah. LOVE IT.
Also. She's been compared to Sarah Dessen. Another AMAZING AUTHOR. Sorry. Just read it. You'll see what I mean. :)

Author's Website: http://www.jandynelson.com/
There's also a really good trailer. I love the song!  Click here :)

5 comments:

  1. It is. I miss it already.
    I'm reading that Declaration book you lead me. Good so far. :)
    Did you know that they're a whole series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloo, I just wanted to comment. On the fact you're reading The Declaration. It's very good. I've been trying to get my hands on the sequel for a while but I... haven't got round to it. :)
    From yan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    Well actually my copy of it is yours and Joey's. She let me borrow it when I was at your house the other day.
    Oh yeah I heard there's a sequel to it. I went on Gemma Malley's website, it's a trilogy and the last book is being published soon. What's the sequel called do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was at the bookstore looking for something new to read and saw this book. Read the description and thought I'd give it a try! This story is about a teenage girls emotional journey through loss and love.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*