Sunday, 3 October 2010

The Declaration - Gemma Malley

I got this off the wonderful as ever, Joey when I was at her house. If you have no idea, who I am talking about, click here for an explaination.

First Sentence: My name is Anna. My name is Anna and I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't exist. But I do.


It's 2140, a Nazi-like era where no-one dies because of Longevity drugs. Sign the Declaration, agree not to have children and you too can live forever. Refuse, and you will live as an outcast. For the children born outside the law, it only gets worse – Surplus status, lowest of low - repaying your parent's sins for having you.
Surplus Anna, six months away from being released from Grange Hall and becoming a Valuable Asset, is about to meet Peter, who tells her shocking things about the Outside and makes her start to question the rules and want to try and find a better future. They both find out secrets about themselves, each other and the world that the generations before them have created.

The amount of times I have seen this novel and wondered about it. There was always something there, making me not quite want to read it. Maybe because it's set in the future, a setting I have something against. Probably because of my love for historical books. Or it just sounded too complex. Which it is. But Gemma Malley takes you into that world and understand everything.
I really enjoyed it. It was a definite page turner and made me think about the world a little bit. I mean, think about it. I probably wouldn't be here at 15, writing this if there was Longevity drugs - or be a Surplus. It also made me think about all the problems in the world today and in the book. I worry about homework and coursework and boys and that, but what about possible 'Surpluses' now, how are they being treated? Similar to the book?
This didn't explain every foreign word used but you still got the gest of what was going on. I loved Anna and Peter's relationship. It wasn't not friendly but still not too friendly if you know what I mean. AND I realised that Anna and Peter were the main characters in Auslander, a book set in Nazi Germany which made me smile as they are pretty similar.
This book I also found out is part of a trilogy. The second one is going to be read next, The Resistance. And the last one was released last week, The Legacy. So I'm look forward to reading those :)
I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of fantasy. It's such a gripping book, I promise that you'll love it from start to end which lots of twists and turns throughout...seriously. The amount of times I was like 'Oh my god!'....

Author's Website: http://www.gemmamalley.com/

8 comments:

  1. such a good book- you still need to give it to me ;) xxx

    longevity drugs sound so scary :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I know I still need to give it to you but YOU AND YOUR STUPID LOVELY BAG ARE ALWAYS FULL. So. I can't.
    I know. Let's just say (I loathe it all....) sorry, let's just say, I'm so glad that they aren't real. It's such a good book, and it makes you think about your life kind of thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review! I hadn't heard of this book but now it is happily sitting on my "bug the library for this book" list. Thanks for putting it on my radar! Longevity drugs...well...that sounds terrifying. I'm intrigued.

    Following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha oh thank you very much :)
    YAY! I've keep seeing this book now in the library, I think it's stalking me.
    Thanks again :) I'm about a third of the way through the next one, The Resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed the book ! Nice review :) I actually picked this book up last year and didn't enjoy it as much as I would have though :P Oh well.

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really?
    I can see why, there are some bits that get a little boring.
    Thanks for starting to follow me on Twitter and here by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found you at YA Addict's Comment Exchange Program. I know I'm supposed to comment on your review of the second book of the series, but since I haven't read this one yet and don't want to read spoilers, I'll comment on this one instead. I hope that's okay!

    So, anyways, great review! This books sounds really good! It sort of reminds me of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, just, well, different. The cover looks kind of depressing though...But I'll still add it to my wishlist (:

    Hannah (Paperback Treasures)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha that's fine Hannah :)
    I love that Comment Exchange Program - such a great idea :)

    thank you :) oh yeah I've been wanted to read that series for SO LONG. Can't find it anywhere though.
    Hmm...in some ways, it is depressing but not depressing, I want to kill myself and am in tears, depressing.
    You should enjoy them, I hope :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*