Friday, 25 February 2011

Love Struck - Rachael Wing

So I've had my eye out for any other Rachael Wing books after I re-read Star-Crossed for like the 10th time. It's a short but sweet book and I love it - especially the way it's written.
Anyway, I was mooching about my library when I saw The Legacy by Gemma Malley *grab*, then this *grab*.
Rachael Wing was only 16 when Star-Crossed was published, 14 when she wrote it and although, it isn't as well rounded as some books are these days, it's not all that bad compared to the fact she was 14. I was 14 when I got into writing...and it's not all that brillant still.


Synopsis: This is the supposed to be the summer of her life, for fifteen year-old Holly. She has tickets for the local, famous music festivial, The Midsummer Rave, with her best friend, Wes and now, her crush, Jonah is taking an interest in her. What else could possible ruin this summer? It seems like it is going to be the best summer, until Emily a.ka. Barbie, the American blonde bimbo (Sidenote: What Holly calls her - not me!) who all the boys, including Wes, fall for. But she isn't all she seems behind the tan and the glossy blonde hair.


Review: This book is based loosely on the story of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Like Star-Crossed is based on Romeo and Juliet. This time....it's not as obvious and to be honest, it took me a while to understand how it was. I went and saw a school production of the Shakespeare play which has 3 of my close friends in (one played Helena, one a fairy and one was one of the actors at the wedding) which was absolutely amazing and I enjoyed it so I know the story pretty well. And apart from the fact that Holly, Wes, Jonah and Emily are the main characters in the play and the name of the festival links in with the play title, I couldn't see the reference. And the band, The Faeries, that Wes and Holly love are of course...the Faeries in the play.

Also for me, it seemed like nothing happened as I read it. It's only afterwards that you realise a lot of stuff did happen, much like Matched by Ally Condie. There is no shocking twists and turns like in some books but in some ways, that made it more enjoyable and nicer to read. I relaxed more while reading it.
I liked how the lyrics mentioned fitted in with the plot too.

Looking at the book, like Star-Crossed, it look like such a young teenager type book that a little bit cheesy and over rated. But it's not. There are some brillant moments and Rachael Wing has included some great, original characters that are all different. I personally loved Remi and Arno (friends of Holly's) and Wes. Ah Wes. There's something about that name I love like in The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. And the name Jonah is starting to appeal to me. Although, in this book, Jonah is a complete idiot and I can't believe Holly fell for him. Anyway, moving on.

The ending of the story is inevitable and you can probably guess what happens at the end of the book.
Although, the cover lets it down, this book is an nice short read at only 170 pages.
This isn't as good and well-written as Star-Crossed was but this is still worth a read if you want a book where you don't have to think too much and you can just relax and enjoy. It's a definite possible summer read.

I give it 3.5 out of 5

Author's Wesbite: http://www5.scholastic.co.uk/zone/authors_r-wing_biog.htm

Click here for my Star-Crossed Review!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a pretty cute book, although 'Star-Crossed' does sound a bit better. Either way, I love modern versions of classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice because when you do read the classics, you can sit there thinking 'Okay. What is actually happening?'. But with modern versions, it puts it a bit in context for you.

    Yeah I would say Star-Crossed is much better but this is worth a read if you have some time too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book I still find intriguing and loved your review. I also love your blog!

    I look forward to future tweets & posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you so much!
    That made me smile so much. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*