Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Ten Mean Characters who I would like to Slap. Hard. (#5)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish

*NOTE*: From now on, I shall be doing between 5-7 instead of 10 because they may look easy but these memes are actually quite hard to think about and remember. Also, with the other things happening in my life at the moment (yes I have one full of revision), I simply won't have the time. But I love doing these so they are happening still, just reduced.


This week's theme is Ten Mean Characters that I hate in books

1. Augusta from I was Jane Austen's Best Friend (review to come soon!) - Oh god. Okay, I loved a lot of the characters in this book but this one repeated annoyed me and was so...urgh...big-headed, pompous, (the word escapes me) but always needed her husband right by her EVERY SINGLE LITTLE MOMENT. Grr.

2. Caroline Bingley from Pride and Prejudice - This is going to be a hot topic on a lot of these methinks. But I must admit but Jane Austen does it well when she makes us hate her. And they did it well in the movie version especially the Keira Knightley one, played by Kelly Reilly and in Lost In Austen.

3. Penelope from The Luxe Series - Anna Godbersen wrote her well. She was forever surprising us throughout the series and she is the ultimate 1900's bitch. Stealing a fiance/lover, blackmailing, paying people to get secrets to ruin her supposed-to-be best friend...Just a few to list - although you do feel sorry for her at points. Then, she does something and I end up hating her all over again.

4. James in Shadow Web - He is what I call a greasy character. He's slimy, embarrassing and all over yucky character who takes advantage of young girls who have found themselves in a different world (although he didn't know that in the book). He is definitely a character to hate and one that I wish I never come across in reality...though I'm guessing I probably will at one point.

5. Mr Collins from Pride and Prejudice - Okay...so he's not a mean, villian like character but he's so damn insulting, rude, unpleasant and pompous. I also hate him because I had to write a 9 page essay on 'how he adds effect to the story' but that's my personal reason. He's just another one of those that I wish I shall never come across in future life...although I think we will all meet someone who is as funny and shocking as Mr Collins is. 

4 comments:

  1. Caroline definitely made my list! I've seen her popping up on quite a few. Glad to see no one else likes her, either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you put Mr. Collins on the list- LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah me too...she is a definite 'meany' and one of the best and well-known in Jane Austen's books.

    Erm, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*