Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Tuesday Top Ten: Books that SHOULD be in your beach bag (#10)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish
This is such a good topic, I'm so excited. I could only think of 8 this week, but more than the normal 5/6! These are the best reads for summer, personally, after that they wouldn't have fitted so well.

This week's theme is Books which are the perfect summer read

1. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen - This is my favourite Sarah Dessen book ever. It had just everything anyone could possibly want in a book and I love the characters within it. I also read it every year, normally in the summer and as my summer is going to be a long one, this will be coming to a book blog near you....or this one.

2. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen - I first read Just Listen (and it was my first Sarah Dessen experience) over the summer of 2007. Yes, I am not as old a fan as some but I do like her books as much. So far, I seem to read this too every year for mostly the same reasons as The Truth About Forever. I do love this book too.

3. The Other Countess by Eve Edwards - My first read of this one was late last summer on my last holiday at the end of August where I fell in love with Eve Edwards. I just could not put this book down at all, it's ridulous I know.

4. I was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison - although I didn't read this over the summer, I did read it when it was supposed to be sunny and warm so I think that qualifies. This is a definite summer read I think, and I know in years to come I may read this book again. AFTER I GET MY HANDS ON THE SEQUEL TO THIS ONE. Which might come onto the blog this summer....if I can get my paws on its glossy annoyingly lovely cover.

5. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson - I read this in September last year when I started Year 11 (God, that seems ages ago!) when also it was still summery although autumn was coming closer. Anyway, I could also see this as a summer read - get the UK hardback version - it's amazing and lovely and I treasure it.

6. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin - I read this time last year. My friend also read it recently and said to me that it was nice to read outside in the sun. It is a nice summer read, continuing this theme of love and relationships here, ha! I can imagine reading this one outside by the pool in the sun with sunglasses, a cold drink and floppy sun hat on.
Looking outside at the cloud, that isn't going to appear any time soon.

7. The Luxe by Anna Godbersen - This is a book, for me, that you can read anytime, all year round. I first read it in the Spring and last read it in the winter and enjoyed it both times. I don't know why but I can see it as an 'any-season book'

8. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen - Okay, Okay, I had to add another Sarah Dessen book. You can read any of her books in the summer and like, The Luxe, all year round although, summer is best for a bit of Sarah Dessen. This one is almost as good as The Truth About Forever but I think I like TTAF because it was the first book of hers that I properly fell in love with. 

9 comments:

  1. Love Along for the Ride. It made my list as well! I adore Sarah Dessen.

    I don't have the Luxe yet, I have #2 & #3 in hardcover I found on sale, so I guess I suppose I should get #1 to start on those. A few people have been dropping their titles lately.

    Great List!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I do too! On one of my books of hers, it says 'Read her once and fall in love' which is SO true.

    Yes find the first one! Some people think they drag on a little bit but I love them, they're all very different novels.
    Try her other new series, Bright Young Things. They're not as good but a good summer read too I would say.

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, summer reads are always stories that play in summer time, which the Dessen novels definitely cover as far as I can tell (despite dozens of times they were recommended to me, I never got my hands on a copy of ANY book. Although I watched How to Deal and totally fell for the guy playing Macon).
    My must-read set in the summer always includes the "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants" novels. I'm scared and looking forward to the new release in two weeks at the same time. It's going to be sad with lots of tears, but that's how it always is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to look into the Dressen Novels. sound pretty good.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. To both of the above: YES LOOK FOR DESSEN. I haven't met anyone that has been disappointed by her novels. Try the ones I mention in these post, they're the best ones I would say but all of hers are good.

    Nessie: Yeah, it makes you feel summery too. haha I know what you mean on the How To Deal movie!
    Oh! I read that a lot when I was younger, I loved them. And I loved the movie. Is there another one then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's two movies and from June 14th on, thre's five books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never read a Sarah Dessen book in my life. I actually hadn't even heard of her before I started blogging (well, I hadn't heard about The Hunger Games either, so go figure...).

    Seeing as you have recommended 3 of her books as summer reads I believe I must get my hands on one of her books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man. I've got to get on the Sarah Dessen wagon. Her books sound awesome!

    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nessie: Seriously, five books? I better start catching up, I only knew about the 2 movies and one of the books. Whoops...

    Phanee & Kati R: Yes you should! Like I said above, I know no-one that has disliked her books and her writing style. The books I mention are the best of hers I think anyway.

    THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*