Thursday, 9 June 2011

A-Z Authors - D, E, F, G, H

I found out about this through Phanee from funny wool and is hosted by Heather at Proud Book NerdI thought it looked quite fun so this month, I shall be doing a post every day (except Sundays) where I shall tell you about amazing authors that have surnames beginning with that letter. I hope you enjoy and tell me if you know any more with that letter and I'll add it to the post! Thanks.
NOTE: As I am doing my exams at the moment, I may miss days so shall combine letter together, I'll say if I do in the title - Thanks.
Here we go....

SORRY FOR MY LACK OF DOING THIS IN THE PAST WEEK. I have been so busy with revision, exams, being out, getting food etc but here it is now!

D

Sarah Dessen

She is amazing. I am not kidding. She is the best or at least one of the best writers I have ever read and has remained a favourite for about 3/4 years. I am yet to see/meet someone who doesn't like her novels. There are ones less good than others but they are all better than some other novels that are out there. She is always consistent and although critised for having the same plot every time, they all seem different. You know what to expect from Sarah Dessen in the plot but they are always so original in characters, settings, other events. The characters are such unique people that you kinda wish were real and that you learn to love a lot.
Her Books: The Truth About Forever, Just Listen, Along for the Ride, What Happened to Goodbye, This Summer, Someone Like You, Last Chance (or Keeping the Moon), Dreamland, Lock and Key, This Lullaby.

Paul Dowswell

I have only read one book by this guy but Auslander was amazing. It has a boy as the voice and normally, I find they aren't as good with a guy voice but this was fantastic and really helped me with my History GCSE - it put it all into perspective for me and helped me understand it all while doing my favourite thing of reading. He is such a good author that not many people give credit or know about at all. 
Other Books: True Stories of WWII, Adventures of a Young Sailor, The First World War, Escape.


E

Eve Edwards

Wow. I love this woman. Sometimes books are just Historical or just Romance and sometimes having both of those together is hard to pull off without being too much of the other. However, The Other Countess series have been amazing. So interesting with this perfect fascinating mixture of genres with the most funny, enjoyable characters. I just love her books and make me love History so much more. She is a writer a lot of people should pick up. 
Her Books: The Other Countess series - The Other Countess, The Queen's Lady, The Rouge Princess


F

Gayle Forman

I have only so far read her first book in the If I Stay duo. I have the other but not yet read it. I thought the book was going to be boring. But I found it wasn't. It wasn't perfect for me but I really liked it and the way it was written and how different it was to other novels out there that are similar to this one. I really liked her overall and I REALLY NEED TO READ THE NEXT ONE.
Her Books: If I Stay, Where She Went, Sisters in Sanity


G

Anna Godbersen

She is again in my category of best Historical Romance authors. I love the fun, happy side to her books and then also, the serious side to them that changes suddenly and makes you think. They are a real type of YA book but not too heavy, yet not too silly and ridiculous. These are good books and I love the different characters that after The Luxe series with 4 books, you start to think as of family a little and really get to know them inside and out. All of hers are set in New York at different periods of time which is so interesting to compare from the historical side. She successfully has fun/serious books with a nice balance. 
Her Books: The Luxe Series - The Luxe, Rumours, Envy, Splendour, Bright Young Things


H

Mary Hooper

Not many people have heard of Mary Hooper and that may be because she's an English writer and more known over here but I love her writing. She also writes historical and you can tell from reading that there is so much detail put into it. She covers many periods of history with some characters that reflect what people were like then and now. There are bits of romance but I like them with and without. I don't know what it is about this one but I just love her writing - but I can't say why. She is also the one that got me into Historical fiction and when I met her at a book signing last year, she was so friendly and it was like I known her years!
Her books: The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose, Fallen Grace, Newes from the Dead, At the Sign of the Sugar Plum, At the House of the Magician, Megan, Amy, Holly

Cora Harrison

I fell in love with her writing when I read the first chapter. It wasn't the typical Regency language but I liked that. Made it easier and more enjoyable to read. I loved all her characters, the cover, the romance, the playful look on life and the way she can make a unique character seem like someone you know or a simple situation, one you can relate to. I love how she made Jane Austen a real and lively person, someone my age that I could learn more about and make her feel like a friend. 
I really do love her books. I think it's her first bit for YA looking on Goodreads but she should keep it up!
Her Books: I was Jane Austen's Best Friend, Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend, My Lady Judge, The Montgomery Murder

2 comments:

  1. They all sound good, and I haven't read a single one! Yes, I know of Dessen, and Forman. Just haven't read 'em yet! ;-) Thanks for sharing!

    I hope next week is calmer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha oh thank you! I hope so too. I only have two exams next week so it should be :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*