Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Day 3: Summer time settings

Hey, welcome to Day 3 of the themed week. I hope those who have been reading it have been enjoying it.
Today, we have Nessie who I have guest posted for in the past too. She has such a lovely, funny blog all to do with music and her life in Germany. It's definitely worth a look. Anyway, I hand you over in her capable hands!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hi everyone! I’m Nessie from Queen Nessie’s Musings of the General Populace, and it’s smashtastic that I get to write a guest post for Rebecca’s awesome Summer of Fun book week. I hope you’ve all read Amy’s entry from yesterday, because I’m building up on it, by introducing you guys to some novels I love that are set in summer.
Because personally I think there’s nothing better than kicking back with a book that perfectly fits what you’re going through right now – the perfect weather, lots of free time, and good excuses to go shopping and later show off the best finds. So here are my novels that could happen in this instant, if you just let your imagination take over.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

(The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, The Second Summer of the Sisterhood, Girls in Pants, Forever in Blue)

A staple on every girl’s bookshelf, in my opinion, Ann Brashares’ The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants actually restricts itself to only take place during summer. The story, catalyzed by a magical pair of pants that fits four so differently shaped but similarly minded girls, is incredibly moving. When I put down Forever in Blue there was emptiness inside of me – I was nearly heartbroken by the fact that this was the last I would ever hear from girls that were so like me, and yet different enough that I wanted them as. I think every girl finds a bit of herself in at least one of the girls, and I will never stop recommending the series. (Note: Ann Brashares wrote a fifth book, but I’m not including it as I haven’t read it yet. I also hear it doesn’t quite strike the same note.)

Pants on Fire/Tommy Sullivan is a Freak


Known as Pants on Fire in the US and Tommy Sullivan is a Freak in the UK, this is my absolute favorite novel by Meg Cabot (loved it so much I actually took the time to translate it to German just deal with it longer). It’s about Kate Ellison’s summer before senior year at high school, and it’s almost perfect, if it weren’t for a ghost of the past coming back to haunt her. And it’s a pretty hot, living specimen. Kate is pretty sure that Tommy is coming back to ruin her life, as she now has it all: a hot boyfriend, a hot boyfriend on the side, a well-paying job at a restaurant that is sponsoring her run at the local pageant but serves food she cannot for the life of her stand, and an unblemished reputation with everybody else.

Tuck Everlasting


Natalie Babbitt’s Tuck Everlasting is a classic about one summer in the life of Winifred about a pivotal choice that changes her future and that of the Tucks – a mysterious family living outside of her hometown. It’s an incredibly romantic story, if you think about it (and maybe a little sad, depending on how emotionally susceptible you are. I was totally tearing up, since I’m in touch with my emotions more than enough). I always wonder if I would have made the same choice as Winnie did, and I can’t say I’m sure.

How to be Popular


Yet another Cabot work. I know. Her writings are basically my bible of life. How to be Popular is the name of a book that Steph Landry finds in the attic of her soon-to-be stepgrandmother, and she hopes the transformations encouraged in the manual will make her popular to boot on the first day back at school. But of course things don’t change smoothly when you spent the previous days of your existence as a huge clutz to the school’s population (minus your two best friends who are outcasts like yourself, but absolutely lovable).
(Rebecca: I love Meg Cabot and I REALLY want to read this one!)

Double Exposure


You could call this one more of a “big girls” book, since Double Exposure, or Charmed Circle, as it is known in the US, is about murder. Several actually. A group of people meet in the summer on a beautiful Caribbean island. Acquaintances quickly become friends and they decide to reunite the following summers. But slowly, as the times transition more and more from summer to other seasons, the secrets of the group come out too, and loved ones die under strange circumstances. One of the friends has to be the murderer. Can you guess who?



Rasmus, Pontus och Toker 


This book holds a special place in my heart, because it is my favorite novel I happen to own in German. It doesn’t matter that it’s for a younger demographic – when you read Astrid Lindgren’s Rasmus, Pontus och Toker yourself, you’ll fall for the honorable character of Rasmus and his friend Pontus, the loyalty of Rasmus’ dog Toker, and their never-ending hope and good spirits (even in their grumpy moments they take the time to laugh). Their most exciting summer comes about when the fair comes to town, and Rasmus’ sister Prick falls in love.


Tom's Midnight Garden


Another classic is Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce. Tom is very unhappy about having to spend his summer pretty much locked up at his aunt and uncle’s place, just because his twin brother Peter has caught measles, and Tom could be contagious. However he finds a nightly escape into a garden that does not exist during daytime, and lives as a ghost in the girl Hatty’s world. Or is it the other way around? Or is it all just in fact a dream, that the clock strikes thirteen? I loved this book as a kid, and always begged my Mom to read it. It’s good like that.


To Kill a Mockingbird

Nothing will move me ever like this book has. Harper Lee’s first and only book, To Kill a Mockingbird, tells of a time period that I cannot imagine myself to live in, being a biracial kid. The people Lee creates are so real to me though, from the town drunk with more wisdom than the more esteemed Mr. Ewell, who causes so much trouble in the lives of the principal characters. This is a novel about the summer of three kids who learn so much in this short time span, more than I could at their age. I love this book, and I hope you’ll learn to love it too, this summer!


Now scramble off, check out a book from the library, get your summer mode on, and return for tomorrow’s book blogging dose, provided by the lovely Stephanie from Books are a Girl's Best Friend!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Nessie! Loving all the guest posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! Yes, the whole series is brilliant, so thank you Rebecca for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm glad you enjoyed them, and no problem, I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*