Sunday, 11 September 2011

9/11

I have seen so many memorial posts on the blogosphere today, I thought that I should say something like I did last year.

Today, ten years ago, was the day the Twin Towers fell and the beginning of something very new and frightening, not only for America, but for the world. Before hand, people would happily go on a plane to their chosen destination, knowing they would get there safe and sound with the ever spoken motto - 'Aeroplanes are the safest way to travel'. It's something I always keep with me when I fly.
But ten years ago, that all changed and so the decade of this new unknown sense of something so new and yet so terrible entered everyone's minds from then on. I do think of that day when I fly too, knowing that it became the beginning of, not the end, but of a new different type of terrorist era.

On the day itself, I don't remember it. I was 6 years-old at my primary school, literally a 5 minute walk from my home. I had just started Year 2 (first grade) and the sense of being so grown up had risen. I don't remember a thing of the day. But my parents tell me that they had to turn the channel in the evening on the TV because I got upset by the pictures. Me, a 6 year-old watching these horrific images on TV, so innocent. No-one should have seen them, on TV or even live. I know some may say 'Well that's bad parenting making your young daughter watch something like that'. Actually, no. They did it because they knew it was history.
I can't remember a time where the threat of terrorism hasn't hung in the air and life shouldn't be like that. From then on, something else was added for the future generations to worry about. Something that should be so free and safe.

The last week I have watched many documentaries showing the events of 9/11 with utter amazement. In some ways, I want to have been there. To seen it from a distance, witnessed the horror of it all first hand. But then, I know those that this day is so SO real to them, they probably wish they were away from it on: an onlooker.
I remember going to Florida in the October, about a month afterwards. Everyone looked warily at each other, no-one was innocent. I had a fabulous time there, but my parents said everyone looked at us, British - foreign, as if we were the terrible people who did this ten years ago. In England this could equally have happened but it did seem strange especially as Britain has helped America so many times.

I have visited Ground Zero, about two years ago when I first went to New York. I don't think people appreciate the huge area that the towers occupied, it's MASSIVE. I am so grateful and happy to know that it won't be wasted space, that something will become of this rather sacred area really. When I went on the Staten Island Ferry that goes past Battery Park and the Statue of Liberty, you can see a definite gap in the huge towers that you can only imagine it being there. To me the Empire State Building rains supreme in New York's tallest building but in many others, it will forever be the Twin Towers. The Statue of Liberty has witnessed many things - immigration, planes, high seas, a plane landing right by it in the Hudson - but the Twin Towers might have been the most shocking and poignant of them all. The World Trade Centre may not live on in infrastructure yet, she does, as do many other lucky ones.

However, life must go on and although it is safer now, it is not completely gone. The 9/11 victims did not die in vain, but to be remembered by everyone around the globe and to be as a symbol that we are never safe. Also, they have shown for us to be wary and knowledgable of these things that can struck at any point in life.
Everyone thought it was over. I know I did.

But then, they struck again.

Six years later in a place so so close to home.


What about you guys, where were you and what do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I was a first grade teacher ten years ago and vividly remember trying to help my students comprehend what was happening. My tribute is posted as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I saw. Oh that must have been horrible and so sad to help such young children too. They would have been around my age then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post. Sorry for the really stupid question, but what was the thing that happened six years after?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such an emotional event. I was four at the time and I don't remember a thing, but now we are learning about it in class and I am see devestating clips on the news. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cliona: No, don't worry. Basically in 2007 on 7th July (so 7/7/7), there were bombings on the Tube and on a bus in the middle of London which really scared a lot of people and killed a few hundred. Okay, so not on the scale of 9/11 but it was shocking for England when they realised that it was the same group that did 9/11. It could have been so much worse. And for me? I remember it perfectly, I was about 12. And I live about 20 mins train journey from the places that were hit so it was quite close to home for me.

    Zoe: Yeah I think it's great that they're teaching students about it. Making everyone much more aware of those around them. I haven't learnt it in History or anything but I know others that have.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*