Sunday, 2 October 2011

On My Bookshelf (10)

This meme is inspired by the similar meme, 'In My Mailbox' created by The Story Siren 
(I don't have a Mailbox...)


Bought: 
- Across the Universe - Beth Revis (£2.00 in a charity shop)
- Othello - William Shakespeare (for college)
- Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller (for college)
- The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald (for college) - Wanted to read this for a long time so glad I am studying! 

Borrowed:
- The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
}{

So, I was walking past the British Heart Foundation charity shop which I had to walk past nearly every day when I worked at Oxfam over the summer. In the window, I had noticed that they have some good books such as the whole series of The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. So, I'm walking past here to get a bus and for some reason, I am drawn in. I don't know why because normally I don't have a desire to go in there. But this day, I did. 
I have a quick look round the accessories before I settle at looking at the books, seeing the normal books that I used to put out all the time in Oxfam, you know, The Da Vinci Code, The Other Boleyn Girl - those sorts of MEGA popular books everyone has. Before I stumble across a copy of Across the Universe. A books I have never seen in a charity shop before.
Before I know, I am at the till and handing a £2 coin over to the girl and walking out with it in a bag. It wasn't until I was on the bus going home, that I realised this is an 'Uncorrected Bound Proof'. I have no idea if I'm meant to have it or not but for some reason, I know I'm going to enjoy looking for the spelling mistakes...


So I only got the books of Othello and Death of a Salesman a week ago BUT ALREADY THEY ARE COVERED IN WRITING (like shown below). Normally I hate writing in books, but when it's English Literature, you kind of have to. At first, rather sadly, I felt a bit rebellious writing in a book. The feeling wares off. Quickly. 

Othello

Death of a Salesman

What about you? What books did you get? Do you like writing in books? Do you have any uncorrected proofs? 

5 comments:

  1. I literally just finished The Hunger Games this morning ... it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an uncorrected proof for review, of Day of Vengeance by Johhny O'Brien, and I can't wait to read it to look for the spelling mistakes too :D I can't believe you got one of ATU!!! Lucky!!

    I would feel a bit rebellious writing in books too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Across The Universe! I want to read that book so much, but I still haven't got round to buying it... :/

    I have one uncorrected proof (which I got in a swap), but I haven't got round to reading it yet! As for writing in books, I hate it unless it is for school or university. In those cases, I think it's a good idea to write notes on your book, so that you can add extra information and so that it all ends up being in the same place!

    Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cliona: Haha, it's going to be fun. Oh thank you, neither can I really finding it in a charity shop.

    Phanee: I know neither had I until now, heard mixed things about it though.
    Yeah, it's much easier because you have the quote right there with the note about what it means instead of going through pages and pages of note paper. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also found a uncorrected bound proof of Across the Universe for £1.99 at a charity shop. I've had it for several months now and just found out what it was.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*