Thursday, 29 December 2011

End of Year Book Survey

I saw this last year but didn't jump on the wagon but decided this year that I would. This is a meme hosted in the month of December by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner - one of my favourite blogs.

Anyway, all you have to do is answer the questions she has created with your favourite books of 2011, and then you can add your post to Jamie's answers with the Mr.Linky. Click here for more details.

1. Best Book You Read In 2011? 
Okay, this is hard. I mean, I don't know if I can pinpoint one.
So I'm doing the great idea of Jamie's method to answer this question.

YA American author: Theodore Boone - John Grisham
YA English author: The Rogue's Princess - Eve Edwards
Dystopian: The Legacy AND The Hunger Games
Adult: Girl With A Pearl Earring
Historical: I was Jane Austen's Best Friend

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?
Wicked by Gregory Macguire - my friends and I love the musical and my friends love the book so I thought I would try it out. Warning for potential readers: If you've seen the musical, avoid this book at all costs. Haven't seen the musical? Fine, go ahead, read away.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?
Saving June by Hannah Harrington - I did not think I would enjoy this book but surprisingly, I did!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?
Erm...probably with my job at a bookstore, I recommended The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Hunger Games SO MANY TIMES.

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?
Probably a cross between The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, the Once, Then, Now series by Morris Gleitzman and the Theodore Boone series by John Grisham - all very good.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?
OH, so many!
Erm, Robin Benway, Emma CraigieCora HarrisonJohn Green, Suzanne Collins - so many!

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
An Education by Lynn Barber was a very different book for me. It is a biography and although I'm interested in the movie of this, I felt so uncomfortable and bored by just reading about her life - I don't know, I just realised that I don't enjoy biographies

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
Let's face it. It has to be The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
Probably The Legacy by Gemma Malley. I read the first two in The Declaration series in quick succession so I really was hungry to know what happened next, especially as this was the final book in the trilogy. And it was the best, I think.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
I am one of those people that judge a book by its cover, so covers make me want to read a book more. I think Wither has to be one - it is so beautiful and I bought the book without knowing what it was about BECAUSE of the cover. Another favourite of mine is the cover for The 10pm Question.



11. Most memorable character in 2011? 
There have been so many but the one I think of quite often is Flavia from The Roman Mysteries. 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?
Hands down - A Song for Summer by Eva Ibbotson. Such a beautiful book that I have thought of often throughout the year.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011? 
I think Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Andersen had a huge impact on me. I mean, I am quite thin and have been called anorexic before, and I know at least 3 girls who want to lose weight but are thinner than me. It made me think about how we all obsess about weight but what if you couldn't control that obsession...if I'm honest, that thought really scared me.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?
*in a quiet voice* The Hunger Games...

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011? 
Bright Young Things by Anna GodbersenOne shall be married, one shall be famous and one shall be dead'


16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012?
Meg Cabot needs to be in my life a bit more: Teen Idol 

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Okay so at one point in Saving June, I was like 'Where the hell did this come from?'
The END of Candor - I did not see that coming, I forced my friend to read it so I could talk about it...
The Hunger Games - OH MY LORD THE END.
Where She Went - AHHH THE END AHHH.

 Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2011

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2011? 
There are so many I have discovered this year. I love Amy's blog, Nessie's, Audrey from Holes in my brain - sorry, but there are so many I love, they are the main ones I can think of right now.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2011? 
If I'm honest, I don't have a favourite at all. They are are such fun writing and reviewing.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog? 
Probably the one about Our World. I was looking at the terrible weather and just how the world was at the moment. I still can't remember what spurred me to write that.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog?
There have been a few I must admit and to be honest, I don't know if I can pin one out, sorry.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I got to meet Malorie Blackman with my friend in the summer and that was great meeting the person you've always known about since I was a child.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2011?
AH. So many moments, this year has been amazing blogging wise. I think one of my favourites was when Caroline Lawrence saw the Childhood Faves of Tuesday Top Ten. Another is meeting so many new bloggers and becoming great friends with Amy and Nessie - it's weird I've only known them less than a year, it seems so much longer. Another favourite moment of mine was the guest posts that I did this year, my favourite being the one of Amy's blog on why I love books. It's so great to apart of this amazing blogging world.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Views: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - not one I would have thought
Comments: I think it was my post about Eva Ibbotson, a year after her death - that really made me happy.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Sadly, there are quite a few. The reviews I posted in late November on Wither, New World, Perks of Being a Wallflower and Where She Went got no comments and I worked hard on those in the middle of a rough time. Oh well, I can't win everything.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
So many book blogs for one. Erm, I would say another discovery was Netgalley! AH, A-MAZ-ING. I never would have read Saving June without it - no absolute way.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Well. I completed my Historical Fiction Challenge where I aimed for 10 books and read 17 (WHOO!). Then, I also completed the British Book Challenge to read 9-12 books and overall, read 20 (AGAIN WHOO!).
My only regret is I aimed to read 50 books this year and there is only a couple of days left of 2011 and I'm read...48. I know, so disappointing. I blame my GCSE's.

Looking Ahead...

1. One Book You Didn't Get To In 2011 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2012?
What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen - hands down.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2012?
The next book in the Chemical Garden series, Fever. Then, also the paperback version of Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend, continuing from I was Jane Austen's Best Friend.

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2012?
Get 100 followers and have people comment frequently. If that happened this time next year, I would be one happy lady.

4 comments:

  1. I have seen quite a few positive reviews of Girl With a Pearl Earring on these surveys! I am curious to read it! And I also didn't care for the novelized version of Wicked... didn't manage to make it through, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is such a good book, I think it is better than the movie version but some of my friends beg to differ.

    So glad you said that, I hated it. I did not understand any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover for the 10PM Question is SO GOOD. I don't even know what it's about, but I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really colourful, I love it.
    Well, you can read my review here: http://rebecca-books.blogspot.com/2011/09/10pm-question-kate-de-goldi.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*