Friday, 23 March 2012

Author Interview: Randall Lowe

This is a original feature made by me where I give authors five questions to answer on their new book

Today I have Randall Lowe to talk about his new Immaculate Resurrections series. 



How did you first come up with the idea for the Immaculate Resurrections series?

I never thought about being a writer. I wanted to be a lawyer. So I went to law school. Then one day in the fall of 2009, I was in my yard raking leaves when an idea started burrowing its way into my consciousness. At first, it was little more than a collection of hazy, precariously tethered images. A scene set in Nicea in the year 325 AD—the year that the Emperor Constantine formed the council of Nicea. Ina matter of hours, the idea had evolved into a story spanning two thousand years.

What did you enjoy writing the most about in the books?

The story revolves around Felix, a college freshman who cheats on his SAT to get into Portland College. I love writing about Felix. He’ssuch a multi-layered character. He’s tormented by his past and convinced that he’s the dumbest kid on campus. But with the help of Lucas, his reality star roommate, and Allison, his friend from high school, his outlook on life starts to improve. Even with the city of Portland on edge as the mutilated remains of several hikers are discovered in the woods near the headquarters of Ashfield Enterprises Incorporated, Felix begins to feel comfortable with the routines of college life. He meets a girl, plays on the football team, parties with his friends, and just as he starts to feel like he belongs on campus, the school’s groundskeeper approaches him and says,“Welcome to college, Felix. By the way, you’re the Second Coming. And the Antichrist, well, he lives on the other side of town.”    

Describe the series in a sentence

A college freshman is made to believe that he’s the Second Coming and the only person capable of preventing the rise of the Antichrist and the Apocalypse.

What advice would you give to future writers—both writing and publishing wise?

Write what you want to write, not what you think people want to read. Too many publishers, agents and writers are trying to produce the next incarnation of yesterday’s best sellers. The end result is a market that’s flooded with indistinguishable titles. The profit motive is obviously part of the publishing industry, but writing a book shouldn’t be like manufacturing a better tasting toothpaste. Immaculate Resurrections has generated some intense reactions, in particular,the first chapter of Book I and the cover. But I would rather rile the sensibilities of people, who in most cases haven’t even read the books, than write some embarrassingly derivative garbage just because it’s popular at the moment.       

What are you working on next?

Book III of Immaculate Resurrections. I had planned to publish it at the end of 2012, but it may slip to the first part of 2013.

Thank you Randall!

Bio:
Randall Lowe wasborn and raised in Oregon and now lives in Connecticut with his wifeand son. He graduated from Willamette University with majors in History and ReligiousStudies and from Columbia Law School.  He practices corporate law by day and writesnovels at night.



Book I and II are out now 


3 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this book [I'm not a huge historical fan], but "A college freshman is made to believe that he’s the Second Coming and the only person capable of preventing the rise of the Antichrist and the Apocalypse." sounds brilliant! Great interview, thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice idea.. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I read this post two times.

    I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

    Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

    Source: Lowe interview questions


    Best regards
    Henry

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*