Monday, 26 March 2012

The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness (#1)

I've been meaning to write this review for some time. I read The Knife of Never Letting Go for the first time a few months before I started blogging so when I wrote reviews for the others ensuing (links at the bottom).

So, as part of the Chaos Walking week in Loving Books, I thought I should finally add my own to Rebecca-Books to celebrate. Check her site out, it's really good. (If you want to join in with the week, click here for the starter post)

This is simply a mini-review as I read it so long ago and am basing some of my thoughts on the next two books.

Synopsis: Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives. 


Review: This book is a killer for someone trying to sleep at night. That is, not in a creepy scary way. But if you read before bed, this book is going to be unputdownable. 


This, for me on reflection, is the UK's answer to the Hunger Games series. The Chaos Walking series was something that really introduced me to the dystopia and science-fiction world that I never quite knew much about. 
The story is set in the near future where a group from another land who have landed on (I think) Earth. However, this is a place with a difference. For starters, there are no women. And the remaining men and animals (such as Todd's dog Manchee) have a disease where their thoughts can be heard aloud for anyone to hear - this condition was not in women, however. From the start, you can sense the corruption and the depth of the secrets hidden from both Todd and the reader. Patrick Ness successfully feeds information to the reader of the underlying secrets of Prentisstown and the world Todd is in. 


Todd himself is someone I continued to like the whole way through the books - he is someone you want as a friend. Viola, I think, is and always be my favourite - perhaps because she is a girl but I just like the way she is presented and how despite losing her family, she kind of gets on with it. The relationship between these two main characters is superb in the way they were written and this is developed and continued throughout the series. 


Written beautifully and originally, this is a book I would recommend to everyone. The lovely characters and plot should give most people a good enough reason to put this up. With twists and turns, this book spits you out at the end, still on the edge with the annoying cliffhanger - making me HAVE to read on. 
There are hilarious moments, heart-wrenching moments (Manchee!) and moments which I cannot describe well for this review. If you haven't read this already, don't doubt it - just go for it and I assure you will be pleased with the outcome!


I give it a 5 out of 5


Author's Website: http://www.patrickness.com/
Pages: 479
Publisher: Walker


Book #2 - The Ask and The Answer
Book #3 - Monsters of Men
Book #0.5 (prequel) - The New World 


THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO is also being made into a film, the rights sold to Liongate who recently made the Hunger Games. 

2 comments:

  1. Everyone does seem to rave about this book. I don't know if I'd like it, since I don't normally like dystopia. But I do love a book that is unputdownable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend this book as a bit of a starter to dystopian. This was my first dystopian book and now I love that genre.

      I think if you like action and suspense in a book then, you should try this one :)

      Delete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*