Saturday, 21 April 2012

On My Bookshelf (21)

This meme is inspired by the similar meme, 'In My Mailbox' created by The Story Siren  (I don't have a Mailbox...)

It's been a while (3 weeks in fact) since I did one of these but I have been quite busy with revision and college and working - sounds like a tough life I know for some but it is quite stressful and nerve-racking at the moment so blogging hasn't been my main priority.

Here are some books I've acquired ALL from the library (I spend a lot of my time in there...) and some postcards I was sent by Caroline Lawrence!

Borrowed from the library:



- Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - I'm quite interested in this because of all the reviews circlating about this book and the fact it's been short-listed for quite a few awards. Normally, I'm into anything set during WWII but I was a little hesitant when I first saw this a couple of weeks ago in the library. No idea why - perhaps because normally I'm reading books set in England or Germany - we'll see :) 

- The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler - I've seen a few reviews on the blogosphere and an order for some copies of this in the bookstore I work in but I didn't know much about it until I picked it up this week. I picked this up mostly because it sounds quite an interesting storyline. I didn't enjoy Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why as much as some other people but this looks like it will be good. Looking forward to reading this. 

- One Dog and his Boy by Eva Ibbotson - I have been looking at this book for months and months since it came out late last year but I never saw it in the library until now. Eva Ibbotson died in October 2010 and this was the last book she finished before she died. I'm more of a fan of her teenage fiction but I had to pick this up when I saw it.


Received:


So I was doing some Classics revision during half term last week. I happened to look on Twitter to see if a friend of mine had replied from a tweet I sent her and then I spot Caroline Lawrence's tweet saying that she was giving away some bookmarks for her new spin-off series from The Roman Mysteries aka, my childhood books. So I wrote her a tweet asking and a couple of hours later, I was being asked for my address.
When these came through the door, I was not expecting what I found in the envelope at all. If you can't read what is on the white piece of paper, it says 'Rebecca - Good Luck with your exams...I know you'll do brilliantly!' 
So this sort of well MADE MY MONTH. 
If you also have no idea who Caroline Lawrence, I will skip the horror of not knowing first and then direct you to her first book in the AMAZING Roman Mysteries series, The Thieves of Ostia (link to Goodreads). I would recommend these to anyone and there are events and facts in them that keep cropping up in my Classics course. They are well worth a read.


Have a good week and let me know your opinions of any of the books featured!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*