Wednesday, 23 May 2012

'The Great Gatsby' Movie Trailer

So, you may or may not know that today, the trailer for the upcoming re-make of The Great Gatsby was released to the world. It's being released at Christmas featuring an all star cast, so probably one of the biggest films of the year.
My friends and I have just finished doing The Great Gatsby in our English Literature class so we were really excited to find out about this movie, especially we loved the book and for me, it is the first book we did in English which I didn't hate by the end.

In short, we WANT to see this film.

So, when I saw the trailer this morning, I had to run it through twice in order to catch everything that happened - it's pretty action packed.
On the surface, it still looks like a great film that I really would love to see.

However, it is very different to what I imagined, although I've seen the 1974 version featuring Robert Redford as Gatsby where I was sitting there pointing out all the errors from book to movie. This has got to be better than that.
Baz Luhrmann (who directed Moulin Rogue, Romeo and Juliet AND the most expensive advert, Chanel No5 featuring Nicole Kidman), I read in an interview with him, said that he was going to keep it as true to the book as possible and I really hope it is, more than the 1974 version anyway.

The costume and set design look amazing, so glamourous and VERY 1920's. The characters look true to those in the book, although for me Gatsby, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, had a American/British/Australian kind of accent at one point which was a little off-putting. Furthermore, Jay Z music at the beginning? It works, but where is my funky Jazz music of the time?
The movie looks very modern, maybe what this book needs - a face lift. All I know is I cannot wait for Christmas to roll around to see this one.

Have a look at the trailer below and comment below - I'd love to know what you think!

Jay Gatsby: Leonardo DiCaprio
Daisy Buchanan: Carey Mulligan
Nick Carraway: Toby Maguire
Tom Buchanan: Joel Edgerton
Myrtle Wilson: Isla Fisher
Jordan Baker: Elizabeth Debicki
George Wilson: Jason Clarke

RELEASED 26TH DECEMBER 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*