Monday, 28 May 2012

Letterbox Love (1)

For starters, I have not changed the meme I will do for the new books I receive because of the plagiarism scandal over at The Story Siren, who originally hosted In My Mailbox.
I would still continue with that without a problem. For the record, I believe that what she did was wrong, but the way it has been treated by the book blogging community is much much worse. She apologised and told us her reasons, saw she was wrong. But the rude, unnecessary comments were what shocked me the most. However, that's a whole other post. Basically, this change is not because of that.

I have decided to go with Letterbox Love as this is a meme for UK book bloggers, which I am. I liked the idea of a UK meme as I think, with the majority of bloggers being American, other countries do seem to be overshadowed sometimes with great books that maybe only come from that country. Anyway, that is why I changed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a weekly meme hosted by Lynsey at Narratively Speaking

I haven't done one of these in a while as I haven't actually received many books as I have had exams, which are OVER NOW. Whoo! These are the books I acquired in the last couple of days with my new found freedom.

Borrowed from library:


- Delirium by Lauren Oliver - this is another of those books which I see everywhere - in shops and on the blogosphere, yet I never had any interest in walking up to it and reading the blurb. Until now. I don't quite know what made me look at this book this time. But I did and loved the sound of it. And since then, I've seen around 3/4 more reviews of this all with 4 or 5 stars. If this doesn't please me, I will not be happy. 

- The 39 Steps by John Buchan - I saw the play of this in London a few years ago and loved it. Since then, I've seen the book around but it wasn't until the other day that I found it in the library and decided to give it a go. A friend told me this is more serious compared to the play, so this could be interesting. See the play - so funny.

- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld - FINALLY. There are so many reasons why I have JUST picked up this book. I loved the original cover mostly with the parts of Barbie's for each book in the trilogy. I also liked the grown-up feel of it when I was younger. I loved Scott Westerfeld's writing in his stand-alone book, So Yesterday (review). So, it is surprising that I started reading this now. So happy I will finally read this. Been on my to-read list for a long time. 


Bought:

- Theodore Boone by John Grisham - I have read this book and loved it, especially the idea of Theo being a 'kid lawyer' and after the second book in the series, The Abduction (review), my friend, George and I have become huge fans of the series and of Theo. The third book in the series, The Accused, has just been released in hardback and I would thoroughly recommend this series to anyone - so good. I bought this book in a charity shop for £2.50 which I am so happy about for such a great book! Review for this book

- Someone Like You by Roald Dahl - This isn't for me, but for a friend who on World Book Night at the bookshop I work in, visited and JUST missed out on a free copy of. Anyway, I was in a charity shop looking at the books and there this was for £2.50 next to Theodore Boone. So it wasn't free but it's her birthday soon so this is part of it (I hope to Roald Dahl that she doesn't have a surprise visit to the blog before I give it to her). Ironically, the book originally was from the shop I work in...


What books did you get this week? Have you read any of these books and if so, what did you think? 



2 comments:

  1. I love that cover for Delirium. I enjoyed the book, although not as much as other people. I think it'll get a 3.5 or a 4 from me. I haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cover is pretty isn't it? :)
      I have seen a mix of reviews for this one too, so I'm going in open-minded that I might not like it.

      Delete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*