Sunday, 2 September 2012

On My Bookshelf (27)

This meme for originally inspired by 'In My Mailbox' created by The Story Siren
Other versions are:
Letterbox Love created by Narratively Speaking
Stacking the Shelves created by Tynga's reviews
Showcase Sunday created by Books, Biscuits and Tea 



Borrowed from Library:

- Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler - I heard about this book a while ago when it appeared on Goodreads due to some of the American bloggers I follow. I have also seen some really positive reviews and after seeing the BEAUTIFUL cover, I knew it was a book I wanted to read. However, with the whole I'm a UK blogger but this is published in the US, it became a book I knew I would never read. 
UNTIL NOW. I actually saw it first in the UK at work on the shelf when tidying which was a bit of a revelation and surprise. I was going to buy it but when seeing it in the library the other day, it was too good to resist. LOOK AT THAT COVER. AND IT HAS PICTURES.
(Also surprised to find out that Daniel Handler? His pen name is Lemony Snicket - the writer of A Series of Unfortunate Events!)

- After by Morris Gleitzman - You thought the Once series was just a trilogy therefore after Once (review), Then (review) and Now (review), that was it, done. ME TOO. 
I was so happy to find out they decided to continue Felix's story further! Here, Gleitzman writes what happened in between Then and Now, set a year after WWII finishes. So looking forward to reading this!


Received for review:


- The Diviners by Libba Bray - I have never read anything by Libba Bray but I know lots of people will be saying 'But you should!' When I got a list of books from Atom with their new releases and read the blurb for this, I knew I wanted to read it. 1920's? New York? But with SERIAL-KILLERS? This sounded interesting to say the least. It was a great thing to arrive back to from holiday.
This will be my first taste of Libba Bray so if it's good I may advance onto A Great and Terrible Beauty. Thank you Atom for sending me a copy of this!


What did you receive this week? Have you read any of these books?

7 comments:

  1. Daniel Handler IS Lemony Snicket?! ;o That was my biggest mystery as a child. :P The cover is SO PRETTY.<3

    Happy reading.(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Who knew?!
      I know, so beautiful. The illustrations in the book are all done by his wife :)

      Delete
  2. Following on from Ria... Daniel Handler is Lemony Snicket??!! I had no idea o_O Why We Broke Up looks good though, I love the sound of it.
    My English teacher has recommended me Once by Morris Gleiztman, so I keep meaning to read it. I hope you enjoy After :)
    The cover of Diviners is so nice, and it looks amazing - 1920s New York with serial killers?! Omg, SOLD! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It does look good, although very different from A Series of Unfortunate Events?
      You should read it! It's a very short read but both cute, sweet, depressing and harrowing all at the same time. The sequel to Once, Then, I think is the best so far.
      Ha, thank you!

      Delete
  3. I recently finished reading Why We Broke Up and I really enjoyed it! Plus, I LOVE Libba Bray, so I'm really excited about The Diviners! Enjoy! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew Snicket's alter ego was Daniel Handler. I saw this in Waterstone's the other day and was very tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why We Broke Up is amazing and I'm beyond excited to get stuck in The Diviners - it looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*