Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Make You Think

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. 

With the anniversary of 9/11 today, this week's TTT is on Books that have made me think. This can be the world, my life, people - anything. As long as it made you think more about the themes or topic that the book is centred around. So, here are mine.


1. The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - Although not everyone's cup of tea, this book certainly made me think. Set in 1996, Emma and Josh log onto Facebook and find themselves in years later in 2011. This made me think 'What if I could look into the future?' What would I do? What would my life be like? Would I be happy? Why do we just the Internet so much (says the person with a blog...)? (review)

2. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne - I think I need not say why. The ending of this book (or indeed from the movie) sums it up. (review)

3. Once/Then/Now/After by Morris Gleitzman - I think sometimes when we talk about the Holocaust or World War Two, at least, we forget about children, often talking about adults and teenagers. Especially those running away. Once showed me a rawness and innocence and even a naivety of children that I will not forget when I both see children and when I talk about WWII. (review of Once)

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Most people fear death. But what would you do if you know death was immediate, going to happen at any moment as you enjoyed your day? Hazel has cancer in this book. A young girl that has cancer and relies on a breathing machine. At 17, it's hard for me to imagine living Hazel's life. Anyone who has read this book, I sure hope would agree with me. (review)

5. Speak/Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Andersen - Anything by Laurie Halse Andersen is sure going to make you think about your life, yourself and the people around me. I have only ever read these too books but both made me feel something I can't explain, especially Wintergirls. These books deal with anorexia, self-esteem, bullying and the issue of rape. Some of the scenes in these novels really hit home during reading. (review for Speak) |  (review for Wintergirls)

6. The Declaration series by Gemma Malley - The opposite of The Fault in Our Stars. What if you could live forever? I mean, seriously, what would happen, no-one has thought of that!? In this series, Malley looks at the effects on the world, England in particular, if we could all live forever, if we relied on a set of drugs to keep us alive continuously. Would we go to school? Would we have jobs? What would the world be like if no-one died but women kept on giving birth? (review)

7. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - This is the first dystopian book I ever read and I think that alone made me think about the world around me. This was more of a 'grown-up' book for me when I picked it up the first time and I think that alone gave me something to think about. If you haven't read this, do it. Go and just read this. (review)

8. Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld - I've only read this series of books recently. Scott Westerfeld deals with so many issues, not just the whole Ugly/Pretty system and the controlling government. There are issues of bullying, plastic surgery, friendships, self-harming, effects of drugs and alcohol but most of all the issues we all have with beauty and trying to look good all the time. Most people may not seem vain, but this series of books has proven that everyone is always wanting some trivial. (review)



1 comment:

  1. So many dystopias. Yeah! I still need to read quite a few of these, but I am loving your choices. There's an adult novel with a similar concept to The Declaration called The Postmortal which you might enjoy. :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*