Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Older Books that Shouldn't be Forgotten

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. 

This is a little bit of a quickie post, I've just got back from lunch and before that, this pointless assembly thing at college. Thankfully it only lasted over an hour instead of two. 
So I have a lot of work I want to get done. However, I couldn't ignore this topic for this week's Top Ten Tuesday. It's a real thinker and I am concerned at times that bloggers nowadays in the book blogging community only care about the future or present releases. I once saw a blogger moan about how many review boos they had and that they had no time to finish a series because they needed to stay recent. Maybe that's the key to a successful book blogger - I don't know.
Anyway, here are my top five books I hope will still be around when my niece (I WILL HAVE A NIECE SO I CAN BE THE COOL AUNT)/children are my age. 

1. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne - This book introduced me in a way to the world of Nazi Germany, a period of time I know a lot about now. I really hope these kind of books are still around in 2030. It's a classic. (review)

2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - Merely because recently this has impacted my life a lot. Also, it makes my name a tad more interesting in my own opinion. Although I wasn't named after this book, it's nice to think it may have helped make my name popular of the 90's. And also, this is a great book. (review)

3. The Luxe series by Anna Godbersen - This series renewed my love for historical fiction, romance, the YA genre and reading more in general in like Year 8 before I started the blog. Just a great series that I think everyone I know who has read them enjoyed. (review for #4)

4. The Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence - One reason for this. These books were my childhood books. I've read all them as I've grown up and loved them. And made a love for mythology and boy, did some of the facts I learnt from this series of books help me in last year's Classics exam. Also Lawrence is lovely too! (review for #17)

5. Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld - I feel this series helped shape modern dystopian writing as after reading this series, I keep noting similarities in more recent dystopian. And also this series is amazing, so well thought of, it would be a shame to be forgotten. (review for #1)

2 comments:

  1. I must admit that I haven't read any of those, though I would love to read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I haven't read any of those, though I would love to read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas one day soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*