Sunday, 11 November 2012

On My Bookshelf (30)

This meme for originally inspired by 'In My Mailbox' created by The Story Siren
Other versions are:
Letterbox Love created by Narratively Speaking
Stacking the Shelves created by Tynga's reviews
Showcase Sunday created by Books, Biscuits and Tea

I'm on a library ban at the moment as I have so many books of my own to read. And let's not talk about the Netgalley's and Kindle books to read too! Also, we all know my 'thing' about buying books with my own money (even though I now get a discount...) so I haven't had that many book buying sessions for the last couple of weeks...



Bought:
- York Notes Advanced on Frankenstein - I know most people aren't probably interested in this but I was so pleased with my bargain. I got this in a charity shop for £2 before I went away, normally around £6/7. I happened to go into the British Heart Foundation charity shop as the one near my house normally have some good books in there. I was looking at the 'Classics' section and noticed this. I'm studying Frankenstein for my English Literature exam at the moment and because it's A level, it's quite hard to understand or to find all these interpretations etc. of Mary Shelley's writing and opinions so I thought this would help. Advice for those studying English: get York Notes, they have saved me too many times!


Library:
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger - After reading and loving The Great Gatsby, I've been very interested in reading some more modern classics, such as this one. After reading about a lot of controversy and challenges against this book as well as the mention in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, when I found this in my school library, I thought it was time to read it. 
I've now read it - it was good but not as good as I would have liked. Holden annoyed me a lot.

- Breathe by Sarah Crossan - When I saw the number of reviews on the blogosphere for this book in the last week, I never thought I would a) find a copy and b) be interested in reading it. However, when I saw this in my local library, I picked it up wondering what it was actually about. It sounds like such an interesting topic, something I think we all think about even if it is subconsciously. The sound of it reminds me a little of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (review) or Matched by Ally Condie (review) so I hope to enjoy this dystopian. 
Let me know what you thought if you have read it!

6 comments:

  1. Breathe is really good and Frankenstein is my favourite classic novel - it's fantastic when you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the novel, one of the better books I have to study for English. Just a lot of the essay and analysis stuff which I'm not that great at anyway was quite hard and needed some help :)
      Thank you! Enjoyed Breathe so much at the moment!

      Delete
  2. I've actually just posted my review of Breathe- what a coincidence!
    I hope you enjoy it!

    I did Frankenstein last year in English and am hoping to read it in the future- I also want to read more classics!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw! Glad you enjoyed it!
      I'm not a huge Classics fan, the ones I have read have been good and bad. I would recommend The Great Gatsby :)

      Delete
  3. Holden really annoyed me too. My dad read it and said that I would appreciate Holden a lot more if I had grown up during that time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES ME TOO. I just found him a little repetitive and boring. It wasn't as good a book as I think I was expecting.

      Delete

Comments can, most of the time, make my day. Write anything, be it your comment on my post, if you agree or disagree or if you want to ask something - I check them most days. So go ahead, write something! :)

*I have removed the option of anonymous commenters because I was having trouble with spam. Sorry for the inconvenience.*